[3830] WPX SSB ES9UKR(@ES9C) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 28 16:55:07 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: ES9UKR
Operator(s): ES2MC ES2RR ES5JR ES5QA ES5MARI ES5RY ES5TV ES6QC LY1FW RC5A UR0MC UR5ECW UR5YKO UR8UQ US0YW US2YW UW7LL UW8SM
Station: ES9C

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Jogeva

   40: 1412
   20: 2521
   15: 3037
   10: 1395

Club: Baltic Contest Team

Comments:

Our Ukrainian friends received a special permit from the ministry to leave the
country at war for international sports competition and drove thousands of
kilometres by cars. On Friday when setting up the station I felt sorry for them
looking at empty bands and terrible Aurora predictions. The main goal of the
operation was to support Ukraine and Ukrainian hams but at the same time I
wanted to give them an opportunity to make some QSOs as well not only keep
pushing the F1 button.

This turned out to be perhaps the most memorable and phenomenal contest
operation from ES9C with totally unbelievable scenario. We set OL4A 2014 EU M2
record as target despite not having any hopes and got going. By Saturday evening
we were already 4-5M behind the target and also had CR6K built a massive lead in
EU over us after their US runs which were cut very short for us on Saturday. So
it looked like another regular northern operation competing with ourselves.

Then suddenly 20 bursted open to US and was open all through the night producing
a magnificent run. And 10 and 15 started off great to East on Sunday followed by
fantastic US runs, 15m lasting till 20z. Big H Frame really worked well on 15
and stations just kept calling. Almost 1000 US Qs on 15 and 20.

The dynamics on the scoreboard were really hard to believe. Catching WP4X for
first place in World seemed absolutely impossible by any means and then
impossible started to happen:) And in the last hours we also passed the OL4A
record as cherry on the cake.

On top of it all it appeared that the last version of Win-Test was assigning
zero points and no mults to UA/EW QSOs. We did have ca 150 of those Qs and bunch
of mults and adding those gave another 2M in score.

UR guest ops really worked hard, handled the pileups great and deserve every bit
of that fantastic result. I hope it will give them energy and motivation to keep
fighting against the terrorists and we can celebrate the victory any time soon.

Slava Ukraini!

73
ES5TV