[3830] WPX SSB NW8S(@KB8O) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 28 22:18:31 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NW8S
Operator(s): KB8O WT2P NQ8O AB8M
Station: KB8O

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Ohio

Club: Black River Radio Operators

Comments:

I don't know that we've tried CQ WPX SSB for a long time, like maybe 8 years ago
when we used AB8M as the call when KB8O and AB8M would alternate using their
calls prior to using the club call.

The contest started tough but improved throughout:
Friday night storms through the Ohio Valley down into Tennessee made for strong
static crashes on 40, 80, and 160.  At one point lightningmaps.org showed around
150 lightning strikes per minute.

Saturday conditions were also a challenge.  The high A made it a tough slog on
the upper bands trying to get a good run going to Europe.  We had to shut down
once for lightning on a storm passing through and followed that up with 6
unexpected brief power outages throughout the evening due to electrical grid
damage from the storms.

Conditions on the low bands were much better Saturday night and we really had
some good runs on 40 and 80.  And Sunday the upper bands came alive and made it
worth it.

Also, we had a special guest in CJ, WT2P who drove in from Illinois and spent
the weekend with us putting a lot of Qs in the log and keeping the lights on
overnight.

Switching the stations to two Flex stacks was one of the better choices we've
made recently.  They are less fatiguing to listen to on phone than any radio
I've used previously between the tight filtering and the way the AGC-T functions
once you dial it in on a band.  I know I personally didn't need to turn on NB or
NR at all and yet didn't walk away feeling like "my ears are
bleeding."

And while we're oversharing, just as an army runs on it's stomach, so do
contesters and we made sure to have ample provisions including:  A delicious
tenderloin cut into filets on the grill with baked potatoes for Saturday's
dinner.  A blend of ground chunk and brisket for burgers and potato salad on
Sunday.  Lunchmeat.  A pound of beef jerky.  Cheese and cracker spread.  Two
cases of Modelo.  A case of Yuengling.  A handle of Tito's.  And special thanks
to KB8O's wife for making us eggs, bacon and pancakes for breakfast two days in
a row (Dinner if you were coming of the night shift...)

Thanks to everyone we got into the log, having not done a phone contest in a
long time, it was a lot of fun.  Stop by and see us in Dayton in the flea
market, spots 7817-7820.
73 de AB8M (Along with KB8O, NQ8O, and WT2P)