[3830] WPX SSB IZ3NVR SOSB15 TB-Wires QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 29 03:59:42 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: IZ3NVR
Operator(s): IZ3NVR
Station: IZ3NVR

Class: SOSB15 QRP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: JN65

Club: Italian Contest Club

Comments:

Didn't plan an entry in WPX SSB since work and life got in between and have been
quite busy lately. Two days before the contest I thought a 15m entry would have
been nice.

So here I am back to my "field day style simplified contest station".

I built and raised a 3el and ran the cable to the shack. I used the 3L together
with the vertical multi band wire I usually use. Interesting enough I often got
heard better using the vertical wire than the 3L, the latter one was the go to
antenna to listen. Lot's of switching during the weekend.
Overall, TXing on the 3L was the best option towards NA, for the rest of the
QSOs the vertical wire outperformed the 3L on the TX side.

Saturday conditions were the worst I've ever experienced. Almost absent
conditions during the morning with only UN3 and UN4L being the audible
"beacons" of the band. You can bet how I was shocked to hear UN4L was
QRP. He was literally the only station I always heard CQing on the band during
the weekend. Things turned a bit better during the afternoon. Sunday was just
another story. The band was way more lively, unfortunately a storm forced a
small QRT period with the fear of having the antenna torn apart from the strong
wind gusts.
I heard way more stations than I worked but managed a few nice QSOs. CY0S
(ATNO), NH7T, KL7RA, FK8GM and 4U1UN to name a few.

I always like to meet friends over the air. WZ4F (Larry, K4AB) put a big smile
on my face when he recognized my call and took the time to say hi in the middle
of his pileup.

Overall 74 unique DXCCs and 51 US stations worked in 25h of operations.
Sunday evening had to dismantle everything.

Thanks to everyone who took the patience to stick with me till we did the
contact.

Now on to WPX CW.

Stefano IZ3NVR

RTX: FT-950 @ 5W with homemade SDR panadapter