[3830] WPX SSB CN3A M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 29 08:39:05 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: CN3A
Operator(s): IK2SGC IK5AEQ IZ2ZOZ OK1GI OK1JKT OK1NP OK1RI OK1VVT
Station: CN3A

Class: M/M HP
QTH: near Safi

We met once more in Morrocco for a contest. This time we met in a more regular
composition - 3xI + 5xOK + 1xOM. Unfortunately just days before the contest bad
things did happen at IK2QEI and OM6NM families and they had to cancel their
participation.

Me + OK1JKT arrived 10 days before the contest, other guys arrived in Thursday
just before the contest. We did some maintenance work before the contest and
while listening in Tuesday before the contest on both 15m and 80m at around 0200
the Americans were on both bands strong like "lions" - so all looked
nice. Well .... while sitting and chatting before the contest we were guessing
how many QSOs will be achieved on the end with A over 60 and geomagnetic field
so disturbed, IK2SGC said we will be happy to have 10 000 QSOs I was more
optimistic with my guess at around 12500. Somone said I am crazy - which is true
for sure - but even I was too low with my guess.
After the first night it did not look too good. We had only around 90 QSOs on
160 and a bit over 400 on 80. 20 was almost nonexistent and 15 + 10 were closed
completely. 40 was so-so but well beyond expectation. But during the day 15+10
opened nicely and we had a blast.
Second night was not better than the first one, the propagation on Low bands
returned to more-less regular state just in the late afternoon in Sunday.

We were once more lucky - only one electrical dropout - only few minutes.

Antennas the same as during CQWW-CW - only we decided 3x bev is enough in this
one - we did not put up the 240 deg. bev.

This time we had only one newcommer at the station - and I do hope he had a good
time with the rest of us. It is sort of funny - the newcommer of previous
contest is old hand now.

Antennas used:
bev on 160,80,40 - 3x 360m long into 45, 105 and 300 deg.

160m - single delta loop at 39m - verticaly fed
80m - 2x 2el deltaloops @43m (into EU and NA) - horizontaly fed loops spaced at
about 14m - i.e. similar setup to W3LPL
40m - 2x 3el.full size Yagi @25m 12m boom into EU and NA - fixed - not rotary.
20m - 3x 5el.Yagi into EU @39+27+15m fixed + 2x 5el.Yagi into NA @33+21m fixed +
rotary 4Y at 28m.
15m - 4x 5el.Yagi into EU + 4x5el.Yagi into NA + 5el.Yagi into 165deg + 4el.Yagi
into SA - all fixed
10m - 3x 5el.Yagi bottom ones fixed to EU - top rotary @8+13+18m

73 !
and hope to hear you in the CW leg