[3830] WPX SSB OM7K(OM7RU) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 29 16:59:13 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: OM7K
Operator(s): OM7RU
Station: OM7RU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JN98OQ
Operating Time (hrs): 36
OpMode: SO2R

Club: OM0M DOZEN DASHES CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

Started as disaster, fortunately all improved later. In general, it was the
contest of "Again", "Roger?" and "Repeat the ...,
please".

I wanted to start on 40m, my main band in WPXs. But it was impossible, nothing
worked neither CQ nor S&P. So quick QSY to 80m and then also a bit of 160m.
Surprisingly a lot of nice signals from NA, RX vertical array was doing it's
job. Tries of running on 40m failed. High bands was also disappointment, so I
was catching mults most of the time. Just only few moments of bit opened bands
to run meaningful CQ. 10m and 15m as place for S&P of new mults.

20m started to cooperate at the end of Saturday after the first 6 hour break,
and 40m improvement looked like good news. And, really, Sunday was much better.
Good NA opening of 40m, then second 6 hour break. 10m and 15m of few nice
pileups since noon. I enjoyed of 15m NA opening 2 hours before band closing.

In general, the contest of strange conditions, surprising openings to many
various directions (Alaska, Oceania, SA, long paths) in contrast to huge numbers
of weak and QSB signals.

The significant feature of SSB contests are bands full of strong signals, QRM
and stealing of frequencies, hi. I used external SDR RX for bandscope for the
first time (miraculous performance for 24 €). There was no free frequency on
opened band. Just only place with more or less chance to not to be chased away,
hi. But I also have to say, that the further, the less bad strong signals on the
band (maybe less homemade PA, more good profi and filtered ones).

I saw a lot of complaints about not using of online scoreboards. Yes, it's nice
to "be online" 24/7/365, but the rules of the game are clear: using of
it isn't mandatory. So my point of view is, that (not) using it is the part of
the game tactic plan of everyone of us. Take into account, that the score race
is not the goal of all contesters. Someone is competing with few friends in
area, or just simply with himself.
Personally, I'm using online scoreboard. It's motivating me to change my mind,
what those other guys do, and what can I do better, taking account to
performance of my station.

So, the final conclusion: I beat myself, a bit more QSOs, more mults and
personal SSB WPX record. Not a bad weekend :)

Thanks to everybody who didn't give up after the first hour of the contest. CU
in CW!

Used equipments:
 Kenwood TS-590SG
 Yaesu FT-1000MP MarkV Field
 OM Power 3500A
 ACOM 2000A
 microHAMs: MK2R+, 2x Station Master, doubleTEN, ARCO
 2x OM Power OM6BPF
 DXLog

Antennas:
 160m: Half Sloper