[3830] VaQP W4GO/M SOAB/MixedMobile HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 29 18:53:14 EDT 2023

                    Virginia QSO Party - 2023

Call: W4GO/M
Operator(s): W4GO
Station: W4GO

Class: SOAB/MixedMobile HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:30

  160:
   80:           16
   40:         1855
   20:   57     317
   15:   11       3
   10:    2       7
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:   70    2198     0  Mults = 156  Total Score = 383,304

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks for riding along as I motored from the Blue Ridge to the coalfields to
the western highlands of Virginia. As always, it was a pleasure to work an
absolute multitude of skilled, courteous operators in county after county.
Chomping through the pile-ups in an efficient way is a partnership among
everyone involved, and I would say, collectively, we do quite well.

This year's mobile run in the VA QSO Party, my sixth in that event, was a
success on all counts. I completed my intended route on schedule, handed out
many rare counties to scads of chasers (averaging 63 QSOs per county/city), and
managed to set new personal bests on a number of metrics.

The route was the same one driven in the 2020 VAQP in which I had set most of my
previous best numbers in this contest. Some of the differences at play this year
compared to that effort:

Better strategy for band changes; small refinements to pile-up management; minor
station improvements for stronger transmitted signal; redirecting my efforts to
work EU and western NA from SSB to CW; higher sunspot numbers enabling some use
of 15 m and 10 m (although 10 m was poor and 15 m mediocre); hearing other VA
mobiles better amid the pile-ups, probably due to the sunspot-driven shift from
80 m to 40 m; apparent increase in participation.

Here are the numbers(*):

Score: 383304
Previous best (2020): 297639

QSOs, not counting dupes: 2268
Previous best (2020): 2139

Unique call signs worked: 639
Previous best (2020): 540

Stations who gave me serial number 1: 82
Best to date (2020): 106

Number of stations worked 10 or more times: 58

Virginia counties/cities worked: 89
Previous best (2020): 82

States/provinces worked, excluding VA: 45
Previous best (2020): 38

Distance traveled during contest hours: 681 mi

Virginia counties/cities activated: 36
Best to date (2021): 45

Counties/cities activated:
AMH, RBR, BVX, LEX, BOT, ROA, ROX, SAX, FRA, FLO, PAT, CRL, GAX, GRA, WAS, SMY,
BRX, SCO, LEE, WIS, NRX, DIC, BCH, RUS, TAZ, BLA, WYT, PUL, MON, RAX, GIL, CRA,
ALL, CVX, BAT, HIG

(*) Log figures do not include QSOs made while briefly in WV and which are
submitted in a separate log per contest policy.