[3830] WPX SSB WP4X(@NP4Z) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 29 22:55:33 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: WP4X
Operator(s): W4IPC KC1KUG DJ4MX K6BFL NP4Z
Station: NP4Z

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: KP4
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

   40: 1343
   20: 2452
   15: 2419
   10: 2663

Club: PVRC, YCCC, BCC

Comments:

First of all, I would like to thank Felipe for hosting our team once again. We
had a great time and hope to see everyone again in a future contest.

Planning for this contest started minutes after the end of ARRL DX SSB, when
Felipe told us he wanted us to operate again in WPX. From there, we started
fixing a lot of issues we noticed during ARRL. Ultimately, we would have liked
to have another operator or two for a M/2, but we decided we would stick with
the original team.

We came into this contest with intentions of breaking the existing NA record,
and while our raw score is about 3.5 million higher than the record, we will see
where we stand after log checking. Off the bat we were leading the category on
the scoreboard. This held up until 09z when PX2A hit the high bands. They
immediately shot past us and had managed to create a huge score gap. Soon after
that 10 and 15 started to open for us. We were able to pass them sometime around
14z. We traded places all throughout the contest. Late on Sunday we saw ES9UKR
was climbing the scoreboard quickly. In the matter of two hours they had moved
from somewhere around #5 to #2. I have no idea what they did, but it worked.
They passed us very quickly and continued to increase our score gap. Huge
congratulations to PX2A, ES9UKR, CR6K, and everyone else in the category.

It was such a fantastic experience to be able to operate at the NP4Z station.
Learning how to operate remotely, not only getting everything working properly
but also operating efficiently, lead to a great contest that I thought was a ton
of fun. The added pressure of watching the contest scoreboard with the close
battle of everyone in the category made for a very exciting contest. Despite
having other activities leading to not operating as much, I had a ton of fun
learning about the Caribbean propagation and operating from a completely
different country! Thank you so much Felipe for this amazing opportunity,
without your advice, station, and sleepless nights helping everyone troubleshoot
problems during the contest, none of this would have happened!
contesting has been the most rewarding activity of my radio carreer, and for
some reason I keep finding myself pushing harder and enjoying it more. Many
thanks to the team of young but serious and committed operators who made this so
enjoyable and rewarding.

lets create more environment for contesting and lets put these big stations to
good use and bring operators local o remote from any part of the world.
Contesting is bigger, better and more global than ever and I don’t want to
miss a second of it!

"I really enjoyed that contest, especially with this team, even though all
of us operated remote, we still had a great time, although I would have loved to
have a after Contest dinner with the whole team, I guess that’s one of the
downsides of remote. Despite the fact I’m sitting more than 7500km (4600
miles) away from the radio, the connection was incredibly good, with low latency
and no audio breakups at all. Conditions on Saturday were very strange, with
only poor EU runs on the highbands, the more it made me happy conditions were a
lot better on Sunday, so I could work a lot of friends from DL. The online
scoreboard kept us all pushing, every time I felt a bit tired or the rate was
slow, I just had to look at it, and my motivation boosted instantly. Thanks to
Felipe and the whole team this was amazing." -Sven, DJ4MX

Thanks for the qsos,

Felipe and Chachitos, Brennan, Brayden, Connor and Sven