[AMPS] to choke or not to choke...

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 1 Apr 97 07:25:07 -0800

Choke (choke-input) filter supplies are out of date because they are
suitable only for constant-current loads.  However, resonant-choke filter
supplies are capable of handling rapidly changing loads--i.e., SSB
amplifier service.  Resonant-choke filters provide Much better regulation
than C filters.  The main trade-offs are weight and cost.   A fringe
benefit is that a resonant-choke filter supply demands about 12% of the
peak current from the electric-mains that a C filter supply with a
similar V/I capability demands.  This means that the conductor diameter
used in the mains can be considerably smaller (like #8 vs. #4) with a
resonant-choke filter than with a C filtered supply.  .
>        I wonder if this is true, as Henry amps do retain the image of
>battleship ruggedness and reliability, or did I miss something salient.
Henry resonant-choke supplies are pretty good, out of the box, but you
will need to add a step-start circuit on most models.  One dpdt relay and
a pair of wirewound resitors will take you there.  A resonant-choke
should be *always* be potted, and Henry doesn't, however, you can take
care of this yourself.  Both items are discussed in *Amplifiers* at
http://www.vcnet.com/measures>
 Other electrical improvements that might be nice:
1.  high speed switching to reduce racket and to prevent hot switching
with
      modern radios..
2.  decreasing the vhf-Rp of the vhf suppressors to improve stability.  .
3.  isolating the c. 90MHz resonance in the Henry HV-RFC from the anode
resonant circuit
     with a ferrite vhf-attenuator bead and a c.1 ohm resistor.
4. output compartment vhf resonance dampening loop (2k4, 3ka, et cetera).
  This subject should probably be discussed privately, Jim,  so as not to
arouse any quiesent lap-dogs.
--Rich--

R. L. Measures, ag6k, 805-386-3734