[AMPS] SB-220 IMPROVEMENTS

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph w5hvv@aeneas.net
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 04:08:27 +0000

>3db is barely detectable by the human ear
>1-2 db can be measured by expensive instruments
>2db hardly seems useful on any band (of course, the first 160db may be
>VERY useful)
>Dave N7UE
Dave, what you say is absolutely true regards audio: 1 dB is the smallest
amount of increase that can be detected with the ear.  However, in regard
RF, it is my belief that you are way off base.  With the AGC of modern
day receivers, your ear will hear virtually no difference in a 3 dB increase
in signal strength.

On the other hand, we aren't talking about dB of audio!  3 dB of signal
increase (we are talking RF now) will significantly plow through 3 dB less
RF signals, desensitize the receiver through the AGC system and will appear
to be the strongest sounding signal on that frequency.  If you truly doubt
that, I invite you to contest with a 750 watt peak SSB signal (or CW for
that matter) for a day during a weekend and then change over to 1500 watts
of peak power and it my firm belief that you will have a significant
increase in responding signals!  I have found that to be true over 4 decades
of hamming.

What say others on the subject?  Am I right or am I wrong?

Rod, W5HVV