[AMPS] What's a dB

Tom Rauch (W8JI) w8jitom@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 08:48:20 -0500

There are two type of measurements we can make, one is subjective (it
relies on improper instrumentation, our human senses, and "gut
feelings". Subjective measurements usually produce pathological science.

The other is objective, it's based on what we actually measure and
quantify with proper methods. If we were talking digital transmissions
we could quantify the improvement, and there would be one correct
answer.

In the spirt of pathological science....When digging marginal 160
signals out of the noise, even 1/2 dB of improvement means a lot to me.
I assume a fractional dB improvement would produce the same or greater
benefits to others when DXing, working moonbounce, etc.

Contests would certainly be the same way, just like in road races where
the engine tuners fight for every last fraction of a horsepower.

73 Tom