[AMPS] part 97 1500 W out

W6TG@aol.com W6TG@aol.com
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 18:43:43 -0500 (EST)

Fatchett.Mike@tci.com

<< I just read something somewhere where the FCC was asked that question.
  It was agreed that it was not clear where the measurement took place.
  The FCC person said that they would probably measure it like they do
 an AM broadcast station.  Which is at the Antenna.

This FCC person must not be one that does inspections.
The few amateur radio stations that have been FCC inspected I know of had the
power output measured by the FCC's wattmeter at the amplifier output. One
individual was measured at a little under 1600 watts output and was not
cited. Another individual was measured at, the FCC claimed 1800 watts output,
despite his new Alpha 86 only indicating 1500 watts output. This fellow WAS
cited. It appears in the case of the 1600 watts output this particular
inspector was allowing for 5 to 10 percent metering error. This judgement
probably varies with inspectors.

Terry - W6TG