[AMPS] FL2100 Z

Sam Ferris ve5sf@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:17:28 -0700

Wonder if anyone can provide some advise regarding band switch arcing on
a FL2100-Z amplifier?

Twice now the band switch has arced the contacts closed for the 160 and
80 metre positions.  Don't know how it happend the first time but the
second time the circumstances were after repairing the switch and tuning
up into a dummy load with very little drive and lots of caution.

When I purchased the replacement switch, the new one that came was
somewhat of a different configuation that the original.  Also my
amplifier differs from the circut diagram to a certain extent.  The
diagram shows a 100pf, 3Kv cap switched in when on 80 metres and both a
250 pf and the 100 pf swithced in for 160 metres.  My amp has a 100 pf
for 80 metres and a single 350pf (actually 348pf) for 160.  This all
leads me to believe that there was a factory mod. of which my amp has not
benefited from.  Yaesu techs will only reply to questions about mods with
the ever present, send it to us and we'll fix it.  Does anyone know if
there was such a mod to the FL2100-Z, or is the band switch a common
problem?

A friend has suggested that the problem may be a result of the tubes.
Before I lay out the cash for some new ones, however, I would appreciate
some information on the band switch mods which I suspect.  Also, do the
Svetlana 572B's perform satisfactorly in this amp since others have said
that they are less than optimal for the 2100-B

Would very much appreciate any information ..... Sam ... VE5SF