[AMPS] The 3CX3000 - Why not?

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:19:58 -0500

Ok...my curiosity got the better of me and looked up the specs on the
3CX3000 tube.  Here is the question.  Give price and performance...why is
the tube ignored by the major makers of ham radio amps?  Sounds like it is a
brick wall approach to building the ultimate keydown, rock steady, no
blowing the tube amplifier.  Over 200 watt grid disapation?  We could use it
as a dummy load for the exciter before we went on the air (HHHARRRRR!).

Seriously, with all the comments on the amps reflector about blown 8877
tubes and the such....why not design a 1500 watt no nonsense amp around the
tube?  Cost?  Well, in my experience...there are people who would buy one.
The tube would sure have durability in ham radio service providing the
current rules were adheared to.  It would last a life time.  And, if you had
to work the P5, you surely could get the job done.

Just to have more technical conversations.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net