[AMPS] Type-accept ?

Hakan Ericsson sm3lbn@swipnet.se
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:49:36 -0700

Phil Clements wrote:

> At 07:48 AM 4/23/97 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >FCC and Type accept ?? What !! I have never heard this before.
> >How is that "law" working ? I belived that USA was a country of freedom.
> >What about the 3 holer 4XC800A from Commander ?
>
> The law has succeeded in reducing the currently available commercial amps.
I'm sorry to hear that.

> to underpowered, over-worked, underengineered toys.
I totaly agree.

> >The amp consumes 30 amps at 230VAC, so not many outside north America can
> use it
> >at full output. To much current for a singel phase, so it has to be ment
> >for use on the US/Canadian market where the 230 lines are thicker than
> >a mensleg. Maybe "export only" means Canada :)
>
> 30 amps is nothing! Don't you have a clothes dryer, or electric range, or
> a central air conditioning unit? A pair of electric hair driers pull almost
> 30 amps!
I have all of that equipement in my house, but,,,,
In Europe we don't have 110VAC singel phase, In most EU countrys a
private home has 3 phase 380VAC (I belive England does'nt).
230VAC is singel phase. It is different from country to country how many
amps the singel phase 230VAC can carry. The outlets in every room is 230
VAC, and a group (i.e. 2 rooms)of outlets are fused to 10 Amp in Sweden.
In very modern houses it can be 16 Amp, witch is the absolute max.
In Germany I belive the max. is also 16 Amp.
If we have a piece of equipment that consumes 6900W (230Vx30A) it is
almost 100% sure constructed for 3 Phase use.(or at least 2 phase)
Every manufacturer in the world of electric equipement understands the
standard of Europa, except the US producers of amateur RF-amplifiers.
The only exception I know is Henry 8K (available 3 Phase 380V).
Therefore maybe only a Ham in the UK can use the Commander 3 holer
(230V 30A) and similar amps at full output.
I admit that I'm not 100% sure of every country in Europa.
If i.e Commander would use a transformer with a 380V primary and
with a tap for 230V it would help alot. The 230V user hook up to 230V
tap and people in EU could hook up 2 Phase 380V.
73's Hakan