[AMPS] EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS ON SHORTED TURNS

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 25 Apr 97 10:12:42 -0800

>The results:
>
>Open unused turns: F=4.8236 MHz, Q = 122
>Shorted turns:	   F=5.2293 MHz, Q = 99
>
>Not only did the Q decrease by about 20% but the effective
>inductance also decresed by about 20%.   Unfortunately I do not
>have an coil of 5 micro Henries and the same construction to test
>the Q with no unused turns.
Everything has a trade-off.  The trade-off with not shorting unused turns
on a tapped coil is the chance of producing eyebrow-raising RF voltages
across the unused turns.   I was sketical until I saw the result.  Now I
always short unused turns.  Some builders aptly call it the Tesla Coil
effect.
 OTOH, if separate coils, oriented alternately at right angles. are used
in lieu of a tapped coil, the losses you observed are obviated.  The
trade-off is that doing so takes more chassis space than a tapped coil.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K