[AMPS] Band Switch Heath SB-1000

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 27 Apr 97 11:57:07 -0800

>At 11:14 AM 4/27/97 -0400, you wrote:

(Tom Rauch)
>>The SB-1000 band switch, when properly installed, will handle normal
>>operating voltages. Unfortunately several things went wrong in the
>>SB1000. Heath decided to NOT install an anti-corona washer. That reduced
>>the voltage breakdown.
(Phil Clements)
>I built one of the last SB-1000 kits. It DID specify the installation
>of the washer on the switch contact. It sticks in my mind so well because
>I had never seen this done before, and Heath did not explain what function
>it had.
Oops.  I'll bet a large pizza with 4 toppings that this gets ignored,
Phil.
(Mr. Rauch)
>>None of this stuff is magic or rocket science. It's all common sense and
>>normal engineering, and can be verified by traditional math. I've
>>measured PA's producing over ten times the normal operating voltage in
>>the tank during load faults.
"Over ten-times" normal in an SB-1000 would be over 25,000 peak volts.
Measuring this much HF voltage is way beyond the capability of my
Tektronix HV RF probe.  .
 How did you make this measurement, Tom?
 How did you keep the bandswitch from arcing during the 25,000+ peak
volts measurement?
 How did you keep the Tune-C from arcing during the 25,000+ peak volts
measurement?
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K