[AMPS] Electrolytic Capacitor Ratings

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 15:53:25 EDT

Would some please explain why 450V appears to be the maximum rating
available today? Many years ago 500V,  600V and even 800V were available.
How critical is that 450V rating?  Will a CGS computer grade cap with a
500V surge rating run long term at 510V...with loading reducing the DC to
435V?

I have been experimenting with a new SB-220 xfmr and Harbach's matched
capacitor bank. The caps have been running for 48 hours at 510V without
failure and they are only barely warm to the touch. With Allen's matching
and the 100K equalizing resistors the voltages across each cap are within
5 volts. The xfmr will be redesigned for a bit lower voltage anyway but
this capacitor rating has got my interest up.

The good news is that the SB-220 will run 1500W+ and the xfmr fits
inside.  A B&W PT-2500A it "aint" but I'm making progress!

73....Carl   KM1H