[AMPS] Drake L4B Problem

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Fri, 01 Aug 1997 20:06:42 -0500 (EST)

        A friend of mine W4AJT is having problems with his L4B.  I
thought it sounded like a capacitor might be breaking down with high
voltage but perhaps some of you may know this amp and have some other
suggestions.  Please reply directly to W4AJT@juno.com.

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV

"About the L4B, -- when I turn the L4B on, and leave it in the tune/CW
position, I can transmit for as long as I want to-- like all day long.
But when I turn the red button on, in the SSB position, I can transmit
for only a few seconds.  I replaced the 82 ohm current limiting resistor
with a fuse.(in the b+ lead).  I cannot find any leakage in any of the
bypasses in the plate circuit or anywhere else.  I have used two and
five-amp fuses in the B+ lead, and it still blows the fuse. I do not see
any arc-over when this happens, except in the fuse when it blows.  If
anyone has any ideas about what causes this, I would appreciate hearing
from them."

73,  Weldon W4AJT  (reply to W4AJT@juno.com)