[AMPS] Alpha 77 amps

w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 20:13:19 +0000

> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
> Date:          Sat, 2 Aug 97 21:36:24 +0000
>
> Adding the extra tube is relatively easy.  Correcting the ramifications
<SNIP>
> adding a second tube is filter-C failure.  When the second tube is added,
> the 120Hz ripple current in the hv filter C doubles, which in turn
> quadruples the (P=I^2*R) dissipation in the filter capacitor.  Mostly
> during contesting, case seams sometimes split and the oil leaks out.
> Peter W. Dahl reportedly has a retrofit upgrade.
> -It adds up to a lot of dollars, grief, time, and less than a half
> S-unit.

Strange.

I just looked at a bone stock tank two tube Alpha conversion and it
worked just fine.

Power output was good (about 4 kW) and harmonics were within reason.

Are some Alpha's OK, and other's as bad as you say Rich? Or are all
the stock tanks the same??

Why do you think the tanks Q has to be higher than it is, if
harmonics are OK?

73, Tom W8JI