[AMPS] CENTURION HELP

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:45:29 EDT

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:54:05 -0400 CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil
writes:
>     Greetings,
>         I've been reading the amp reflector for about a year now, and
>
>     learning a lot.  Now I have a problem that I need help with.
>
>     My 422 TenTec Centurion has worked fine for several years.  I
>haven't
>     used it all summer, but decided to turn it on last night.  As
>soon
>     as I turned the power switch on, both primary line fuses blew
>along
>     with the circuit breaker.  No smoke, and no visible damage after
>     inspecting it inside and out.  I took a reading across the 220V
>line
>     cord (unpluged of course) with the fuses replace and read 6.6
>ohms. Is
>     this normal?  Any ideas?  The only thing I did before applying
>power
>     was switching the standby switch from operate to standby.
>                                                TNX, Denis, W4DC

Well IMO life does not revolve around parasitics.
In your case I would start thinking about crispy critters across the AC
or HV and/or a moisture induced problem from non use.
Unplug the tubes and try again, preferably with a variac or by rewiring
for 240 but plugging into a 120V line.
Carefully look for carbon tracks on all HV components to ground.

Im not saying that a parasitic could not be the cause but I would
eliminate all of the more common faults first.

73....Carl  KM1H