[AMPS] Parasitic suppressors

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 31 Aug 97 11:31:40 -0800

>On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 07:08:12 +0200 lars.harlin@pocab.se (Lars Harlin)
>writes:
>>Have followed the discussions abt VHF parasitics on the reflector and
>>other media.  Has anyone tried using ferrit in a suppressor?
>>
>>Lars / SM3BDZ
>>

>The only amps I am aware of were the Heath SB-230 ...

In the SB-230, the ferrite bead is only in series with the HV-RFC.  It is
not in series with the anode's VHF-resonant circuit - i.e., the circuit
which supports oscillation.

> ...  The Heath was a disaster and blew many tubes.

Amen, Carl.  With no VHF suppressor in the anode's VHF-resonant circuit,
the life of a high VHF gain tube is often brief.  The AL-1500 is another
such amplifier.  A number of owners told me that their's went through a
number of 8877s during the first year.  One of them discovered the
seemingly-bizarre technique for making some gold-sputtered 8877s useable.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K