[AMPS] Dentron MLA2500B

Joe Subich, W8IK w8ik@ibm.net
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 20:56:03 -0500

At 10:54 AM 12/3/97 EST, KM1H wrote:

>The amp will do 1800W but for tube longevity keep it in the 1200-1300W
>range. Make sure that the grid swamping resistor, R-1, is in the circuit.
>Many MLA owners cut it out to get even more power!

Max ratings for the 8875 are 2200 volts at 350 mA or aproximately 1500
watts input.  However, the Eimac catalog (4/92) I have lists operation
at 2000 volts and 500 mA peak (per tube) with a resulting 587 watts of
"usable output" per tube.  The tube is rated for 300 watts plate
dissipation ... so I wouldn't push them.

R1 was a 100 ohm wirewound resistor ... with it in place, the input
impedence of the MLA-2500 is about 30 Ohms with 40 pF shunt capacitance,
making the amplifier difficult to drive with solid state transmitters.
The amplifier requires a non-inductive swamping resistor of aproximately
50 Ohms/25 watts (to suck up about half of the drive from they typical
200 watt rig) and a 2:1 un-un (to bring the drive impedence back into
the 50 Ohm range).  Even then, the shunt capacitance (tune input) can
make the exciter/amplifier system unstable on some bands depending on
coax lengths.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W8IK  ex-AD8I
       <w8ik@ibm.net>