[AMPS] EM marked caps

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 16:23:26 EST

On Sun, 07 Dec 97 15:23:58 PST "james fisher" <k4gf@worldnet.att.net>
writes:
>I have come into a bunch of 200 pf capacitors which look like the ones
>pictured as dipped micas in the mouser catalog.  However, they are
>marked with the value followed by the letters EM...does that mean
>"encapsulated mica" or what is that EM all about?  some are also
>marked with voltages..500 or 1000.  Then there are some more, larger,
>still marked EM.  Are these mica?  Do they carry significant amounts
>of current?  Please, pretty please and thanks.  K4GF,
>k4gf@worldnet.att.net

They are all dipped mica (encapsulated) types. As far as current ratings
it depends on the case size (usually a CM or DMxx number), C values, and
frequency.
A typical 500V will be fine up to 200W or so in an amp input network.
The larger case size will be in the 500W range and paralleling 3 or more
up will usually handle fixed C on the load side for 80/160M at 1500W +.

73   Carl  KM1H