[AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru

Kenneth D. Grimm grimm@lynchburg.net
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 07:25:34 -0500

Rich Measures wrote:

> Millen HV connectors suck -- i.e., they are made of phenolic resin --
> which is hygroscopic, so the connector insulation literally sucks
> moisture out of the air.
> -  I use a banana plug and a banana jack.  The plug goes on the end of
>
> 15kV-rated silicone rubber wire.  The banana jack mounts in the center
> of
> a 3" square of 0.125" g-10.  It's good for 15A.
> Rich...

I share your feelings about the Millen connector for use in QRO amps.
However, your suggestion to use a banana plug and jack is frighteningly
dangerous in my opinion.  A child or even a pet might inadvertantly pull
a banana plug out of its jack thus exposing a possibly very lethal metal
tip.  I have tripped over wires coming out of the back of equipment.  If
the wire was a hot 15 kv line connected on one end with a banana plug, I
might have come to a better understanding of how a bug-zapper works.

High voltage kills and that is why commercial amp designers make it
difficult for you to get into the amp without shorting out the high
voltage line and shorting sticks are recommended in most good books on
home-brew high voltage power supplies.  One should make every effort to
make inadvertant access to the HV line difficult, if not impossible.

What you suggest will work and frankly has a certain appeal in the
simplicity of installation and use.  But it is a little to much like
crawling through a fence with a loaded gun.  I'll take my own advice and
use an HN connector, or Carl's advice and use a connector mounted on a
plexiglass plate and leave my collection of banana plugs for the low
voltage purposes for which they were intended.

Sorry if this has sounded preachy.

73,

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net