[AMPS] chokes or zener

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Thu, 11 Dec 97 12:58:16 -0800

>As the owner of a dead TL-922 I figure I should add a few observations....
>... ...  but the gas inside lights up so nice I want to keep it as
>a display piece :)
A neon sign transformer works well for a display since it has built in
current limiting.  800v is pretty good.  The lowest we've ever tested lit
up at about the same potential.  However, as more and more air leaks into
the tube the ionization potential goes up and up.
... ... ...
>The zener in my amp checks good, so the choke went first. Also, in
>standby, the filaments are connected to the cutoff bias supply so in a
>standby bang the zener should not be affected. In the schematic it looks
>like the zener only provides operating bias.
-  The zeners in 922s seem to be semi-rugged.  They more often than not
survive a big bang.
-  It might not be a bad idea to convert your 922 from V-cutoff bias to
R-cutoff bias.  It could save you a filament transformer meltdown.
cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K