[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

Phil Clements philk5pc@connect.net
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:06:24 -0600

At 04:21 AM 12/12/97 -0800, Rich Measures wrote:

Snip.....

>-  If one suspects a gas arc was responsible for the 'big bang', and one
>finds gas in the tube, it seems likely that there was a gas arc.
>However, if there is no gas in the tube, maybe there was no gas arc at
>the time of the 'big bang' event.  And if the bias zener and the VHF
>suppressor resistor are kaput, perhaps the cause of the 'big bang' was an
>intermittent VHF oscillation.

Gas arcs are still a mystery to me. Perhaps the chemists on the reflector
can tell us what the make-up of the gas is in a tube, and if an arc would
change its properties, or eliminate it altogether. Apparently there are tubes
that survive arcs; gas, point-to-point (Rocky Point) and external flash overs
and go on to live a long useful life. Some don't. The term "gettering" has
been
used often in reviving old tubes. How do we know that an arc cannot be a
vehicle for this process?

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC