[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:46:28 EST

On Fri, 12 Dec 97 08:36:06 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:

>>No, of course not - for example, I argue strongly against EIMAC's
>>recommendations for "linear" operating condx for the 4CX250R.
>
>Which are?

I suspect what is missed here is that the Eimac recomendations in spec
sheets, etc are strictly a guide line for competent users; there is
nothing that says this or that MUST be used. They give you the maximum
operational parameters and then it is up to the user. Real users call and
consult if they have a question. Hams just assume they can run everything
at the max and then whine later.

>>But if the company disgrees with me, I don't try to isolate
>individual
>>engineers within the company,

Only one person has continuously attempted that stunt on this reflector.

>However, would it matter whether the person who disagres with you
>works
>in Eimac's engineering department or works in the marketing
>department?

Ian explained the process from the engineering grunt to the final draft
very well. Cheers Ian...an excellent post.

>>or try to discredit their personal
>>qualifications and competence.
>>
>Anybody who makes questionable statements is fair game, Ian.
>Vanishing
>gas, lower melting point gold, calculating average grid dissipation
>with
>peak values, AC circuit analysis isn't valid for VHF suppressors,
>rheostats are no good for adj. filament V, the Q of resistance wire
>decreases between VHF and 28MHz, on and on.

Fringe level experts are probably the most suspect, especially when they
provide no proof for their ideas.

>>Those tactics are repugnant. They are also directly responsible for
>>depriving this reflector of public contributions from EIMAC engineers
>-
>>as one of them has told me by private e-mail.

Again...a statement that needed saying Ian....and should be repeated
regularly.
I wholly support skepticism in any facet of life, but what I see on this
reflector is a few individuals without credentials who expect everyone to
accept their credo.....while condeming others.  Sounds like a formula
used by  bomb builders IMO.

Any REAL engineers, Eimac particularly, please make yourselves heard.

73   Carl   KM1H