[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 16 Dec 97 17:22:19 -0800

>Rich Measures wrote:
>
>>K5GW (reproduced here with permission).

>>However, most builders protect the grid current meter shunt resistor with
>>=>200a glitch diodes -- which also protects the grid current meter.  With
>>glitch diodes, the peak potential across the grid current shunt R during
>>an anode/grid arc would be roughly 1.5V -- which is not enough to blow
>>the zener bias diode.
>
>OK, we're nearly in agreement. However, if the grid current meter is
>damaged, it is clear that the shunt and/or the diode didn't do the job.

I have never seen 3A/200a-pk diodes fail to protect a grid current meter.
 If the designer used flimsy diodes, which failed to protect the meter,
that is a separate issue.
... ... ...

>Agreed that 1N540x diodes will usually work, but their 200A surge rating
>is strictly time-limited... and we don't actually know how long the
>surge will last.

sure we do.  T=R*C.

>>-  However, there seem to be some problems with the grid/anode arc
>>theorum:
>>1.  I have never seen a kaput 8877 grid bearing an arc mark.
>>2.  No amplifier builder has reported finding one.
>>3.  The reported arcs/'big bangs'  sound like an arc in the room.  Arcs
>>in a near vacuum do not make a 'bang' sound.  For instance, an arc in a
>>vacuum variable capacitor produces a faint 'tink' sound.  Bangs need an
>>atmosphere.
>>4.  Roughly 2/3 of the kaput 8877 grids I see have fairly uniform gold
>>blistering around the circumference of the grid.
>
>I agree about the 'tink' inside the tube, but the bang can come from the
>consequences in the circuit outside - like a meter being blown to
>smithereens (love that word!).

-  The voltage across the tube is reportedly 50v.  It seems a bit of
stretch to imagine that this could produce a secondary arc outside the
tube that would produce a loud bang.
-   People who use glitch diodes report 'big bangs'.  The meter is
undamaged.  The diodes survive.

>Also, arcs can take place outside the
>tube;

Surely, which seems to be the case during some intermittent VHF/UHF
parasitic oscillations.

>they are very common in VHF/UHF amps, probably because the output
>circuit often has the full DC on it as well as RF voltages.
>
>This side-topic is not so much about the causes of near-crowbar shorts
>from anode to chassis, but about design techniques for preventing damage
>when they happen.

There seems to be scant evidence to support the theory of an anode/grid
arc causing damage to the grid.   Too many cathode bias zeners are
shorting.  Too many parasitic suppressor resistors are being damaged -
and not during 15m or 10m operation.
... ...
>...and uses a surge limiting resistor in the B+ supply, and rates
>everything to survive the fault condition with plenty in reserve.

- As I recall, there was an article in the January, 1994 issue of *QST*
that proposed such things.  However, in the September, 1994 issue of
*QST* there were some "experts" who did not agree.
cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K