[AMPS] Drake L7

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 24 Dec 97 09:04:03 -0800

>I'm looking into buying a Drake L7 amp.
>Can anyone give their input both PRO & CON.

Hotswitches with modern transceivers. .  Needs a stepstart.  .  Appears
to have better vhf stability than TL-922s or SB-220s, but checking the
bandswitch with a flashlight and a dental mirror wouldn't be a bad idea.
. .  Needs glitch protection. .  The 14 rectifier 'equalizer' resistors
increase the risk of premature rectifier failure.  {p. 11-9, *1997 ARRL
Handbook*}.  .. .  It might be a good idea to measure the filament
voltage at pins 1 and 5, and record the corresponding electric-mains
voltage. There is little reason to allow more than 4.9v on the filaments
unless you have a free supply of tubes. .  .  The tune-up instructions
beginning on page 3-1 are bogus.  .  .  The 80m to 10m tuned input
circuits are a bit short on operating Q, however, the 160m tuned input is
not.  If you can not get the swr down, more Q would help.
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K