[AMPS] Solid state amp?

james fisher k4gf@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 25 Dec 97 22:00:41 PST

Gentlemen, I have been watching this reflector for some two
months.  In addition, I have reviewed the archives as far as
they go back.  In searching for information on the use of solid
state devices instead of tubes, I find very little.  My
objectives in an amplifier are peak power output about 400 watts,
single band SSB operation only on 75 meters. No bandswitching, no
ten meters, no CW, only the bareset possible controls...just 75 m
and 400 w.  I have 100 w. of drive, can reduce this if necessary.

I have two satisfactory commercial amps which do this, and a home
brew tube amp on the board.  However, I recently came into
posession of a bad Hercules 444, which uses about 48 volts on the
collectors.  I have no desire to repair this unit (at least two
of the final transistors are worthless) but would like to utilize
the power supply.  I have never used transistors or fet devices
at high power, and need guidance....is it feasable, would the
costs or complexity be beyond reason, etc.  Please let me have
your advice.  Thank you. James M. Fisher K4GF, Ocala, Fl.  e-mail
address k4gf@worldnet.att.net