[AMPS] Re: Bent filaments

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 15 Jul 97 17:16:25 -0700

>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>> Subject:       Re: [AMPS] Re: Bent filaments
>> Date:          Tue, 15 Jul 97 02:45:56 +0000
>
>I wrote:
>> >When the tube faults the grid flys right up to full anode voltage.
>...snip...
>
>Rich replied:
>> There is typically no abnormal gas in grid/filament shorted 3-500Zs.
>> Without gas, how could there have been such an arc?
>
>Sorry Rich, I only know English and it doesn't seem to work. ...
Don't take it to heart, Mr. Rauch.  There are probably quite a few others
who would confuse a "personal director" with a "personnel director".
Besides that, you recognized yourself as an amplifier "expert", not an
English expert.
... ...

>1.) In "Getters And Their Function in Vacuum Tubes", an arc is
>listed as a means of gettering the tube.
>
>The arc is through the gas, and it destroys the gas molecules.

So both 3-500Zs got gassy and arced at the same time.  Both suffered from
bent filament helices due the virtually simultaneous arcs, which shorted
and near-shorted the grids to the filaments---and the arcing destroyed
the gas molecules.  IMO, this scenario does not wash, Mr. Rauch.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K