[AMPS] arcs

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sat, 19 Jul 97 08:40:24 -0700

>Rich says
>
>>I am not certain, although I have a suspicion that arcing ability
>>increases with frequency. .......  I have seen some incredulous arcs in
>>my 432MHz 4cx250R amplifier.  I have seen some incredulous tune-C arcs
>in
>>my SB-220 at 110MHz.
>
>Rich, do you think it possible that the increase in voltage at LF is due
>to the fact that at low frequencies, the arc gets the chance to
>extinguish during the zero crossing, while at HF, the plasma takes so
>long to disperse (in terms of the period of 1 cycle) that it stays a
>conductor?
I don't know.
...snip...

>......... The
>arcs you can get with DC leads me to wonder why the power bus for modern
>US military aircraft is 270volts dc, needing vacuum contactors to
>control it. In my innocence, I'd have thought a 400Hz generator and AC
>system would be lighter.

115v/400Hz tends to cause interference problems inside an aircraft.  270V
DC is better because it saves (copper) weight and is virtually
interference free---even though interrupting it is somewhat trickier.
Transient V suppressors are especially useful across  DC switch contacts.

-  Auto manufacturers could reduce production costs if they switched from
12v to a higher voltage.
-  For an electric car, 270V makes sense.
-  This computer will run on 140V DC to 340V DC or 100V AC to 250V AC.
However, to use it on DC, a transient V suppressor would be needed across
the on/off contacts.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K