[AMPS] Re: 2m legal limit amps

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:09:16 EDT

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:15:30 -0500 Barry Arneson <barneson@willinet.net>
writes:
>Hi Carl,
>
>Has anyone tried to water cool a 4CX250R,B running 2200 V,Ep, 400V Es,
>=
>-80V Eg.  I have seen this done on 2C39's with dramatic results.  some
>=
>60 to 70% more overhead?
>
>Barry, K8SD

Hi Barry,

The 2C39 family has removable anode readiators which makes them easily
adaptable to water cooling. I use a pair of 7289's on 1296 and 2304 with
good results.  However those that really push it have poor tube life even
though the anode runs cool; the cathode probably gets stripped bare!

In the 4CX250 family, the conduction cooled 8560AS may be a good choice
to try and water cool.  Another tube that comes to mind is the 8072 which
is an 8122 without the radiator.  It was used for years as a conduction
cooled VHF/UHF amp in GE Master Pros. Since a pair of 8122's will output
1200W I would think that water cooled 8072's could be attractive; they
are available for the asking these days.  How clean at  extended
voltages/current?  I dont think I would operate it on 144.200 in a
populated area. As with any tube you run up against the peak emission
wall. However I have seen the 8122 used in pulsed applications in test
equipment so there may be some reserve after all.

But it would certainly make a good MS or EME amp.

73....Carl   KM1H