[AMPS] Linear Amplifiers

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Mon, 28 Jul 97 18:56:01 -0700

>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>> Date:          Mon, 28 Jul 97 12:17:17 +0000
>
>> >What is the difference between audio amplification and linear RF
>> >amplification?
>>
>> Audio amplifiers use a 2-tube push-pull configuration with a transformer.
>>  Each tube supplies half of the waveform.
>
>Not true, audio amplifiers can use any configuration.  Most audio
>amplifiers are single ended, unless high power is needed.

The only audio amplifier configuration listed in the Eimac technical
specification sheets is push-pull.  This discussion is not about low
level amplification, Mr. Rauch.
...snip...
>>Audio amplifiers can amplify
>> non-coherent waveforms and coherent waveforms.  Push-push RF linear
>> amplifiers only amplify coherent waveforms.
>
>Not true. RF amplifiers can amplify waveforms that vary in
>period

Period equals 1/frequency.  Class A broad-band amplifiers--such as those
used in receive applications--amplify waveforms that change in
period/frequency.   Tube-type high power linear amplifiers are band
specific.  To change frequency, one needs to change the bandswitch.
- We have been talking about high power tube-type RF linear amplfiers.
Mr. Rauch is talking about RF amplifiers in a receiver.  [AMPS] is not
about receiver amplifiers.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K