[AMPS] Splatter and ALC

KR4DAGRIP@aol.com KR4DAGRIP@aol.com
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 21:28:59 -0400 (EDT)

HELLO 91b IS AB2

<< I'm learning a lot here, so I'll ask another couple of questions.

Me Too.

<< Regarding the ALC mentioned above, is that the ALC line back to the rig?
 If so, I don't have one connected because ETO state in their manual that
 one is not required.  From memory (I don't have the manual here) I
 believe they actually discourage the use of an ALC line.  If I'm reading
 Ians' comments correctly, then surely an ALC line should be mandatory to
 help keep the grid current in check.  Or is this a different (internal)
 ALC ?  Why would ETO discourage the use of something that would help
 keep our bands clean from annoying splatter ?>>

 What kind of audio reports are you getting ????
If it ain't broke......
True the manuel does say this. I do not really understand either.
But my 91b gets fantastic audio reports...at least 50% of the DX I am working
are asking if
I am using an AMP and what kind, they are bring this about because they say
the audio
is of such a great quality...I have been really impressed by these requests
and then tell them it is
a 91b. Running 1500 watts into a th7 and using a FT 990 with a Hiel hc4
element in a proheadset.

 <<Secondly, is it possible to damage an ETO91b.  Strange question, but
 given all the in-built protections it seems to be idiot proof.  It must
 be because this idiot hasn't broken it yet ;-)  Seriously though, is
 there any particular area that needs special care that has not been
 adequately protected.  I'm not keen on giving RF Parts a few hundred
 dollars for a pair of tubes, so is there anything I need to look out
 for?>>

 <<BTW, mine has the mod installed that prevents damage to the tubes if the
 blower stops, which has happened on a few 91b's.  I believe it's just a
 thermocouple installed in one of the chimneys which trips the amp out if
 the exhaust gases get too hot.  This happened mine after a couple of
 months so it now has a different, smaller (!) blower (87A?) installed,
 which has been fine now for 7 months.>>

 <<Thanks for educating me guys,

Me too.

Vy 73,