[AMPS] Splatter and ALC

Phil Clements philk5pc@connect.net
Mon, 09 Jun 1997 00:42:30 -0500

At 12:38 AM 6/9/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Audio reports have NOTHING to do with excessive IMD. IMD is by
>definition mostly OUT of signal band products, so the other guy's
>receiver (when tuned to YOUR frequency) does not hear them.

snip....

>Then that is almost CERTAINLY due to your exciter and NOT the
>amplifier. Amplifiers never enhance audio quality, they only degrade
>it. By the time they degrade it enough for anyone to notice distortion
>on your operating frequency, you would be trashing the whole band.
snip.....

>Not to be sarcastic to you,  but the notion amps cause " good
>audio" or "bad audio" seems to come straight from CB band operators.
>At least that was where I heard it mentioned first. They think
>class C PA's make the best audio.
snip...

>Unfortunately, this totally untrue idea seems to have worked itself
>into the Ham area now.

There was a multi-page article in one of the ham magazines years ago
stating that new tubes in a linear amp produce clean, crisp, audio
for a period of time...however long it takes the "new" to wear off
a tube. That graphite 3-500Z's produce far cleaner and crisper audio
than their predecessors, and several other descriptions of how linear
amplifiers can act as audio processors. I don't remember if it was an
April fool's spoof or not, but several ham factions must share the
blame with the freeband/cb'ers in propagating this nonsense!

I have yet to hear a CW operator brag on how his new amp made his keying
better, but I guess it's coming soon!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC