[AMPS] splatter etc

Peter Chadwick Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:51:00 +0100

Carl said:   >Getting even others to join in would be enjoyable; Peter
is a pleasant
>suprise!

Carl, you've never met me, or you wouldn't say that!!

Rich asks why Eimac, Svetlana etc don't suggest regulated supplies.

My guess, from my professional background, (I'm a radio engineer, who
has moved around through transmitter and receiver design at Marconi,
Decca, Racal, etc to being a systems and standards (and some
applications) engineer for an integrated circuit manufacturer) is that
as regulated  supplies cost money, you make sure that the data sheets
offer the CHEAPEST possible application - thus no regulation! And I've
been to so called 'professional' manufacturers of amplifiers who didn't
even have a spectrum analyser. I certainly  have to deal with cistomers
who are trying to build RF remote control systems, and don't even have a
signal generator to test receiver sensitivity. So that's why App Notes
and Data sheets get written to offer the simplest, cheapest application!

So do any of you have ideas for a session at Dayton 98 on Amplifiers? If
some of you can volunteer to do say 20 to 30 minute sessions, we can try
to put together a forum of say 2 hours or so. I don't mind putting the
thing together and proposing it to the Hamvention organisers, but it
needs input from you guys PLUS a commitment to turn up. How about it
guys?

73

Peter