[AMPS] splatter

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Mon, 16 Jun 97 05:58:30 -0700

>Tom,
>
>I think that the confusion on 'maximum plate current at zero grid volts'
>occurs because the statement should say ' maximum plate current in the
>RF cycle flows at at zero grid volts.'

How could there be any confusion?
- The grid operates exclusively in the negative region in Class AB1.
- Maximum peak anode current occurs when the grid moves in a positive
direction and reaches 0v.
.  This is explained in *Amplifiers*.

>The RCA Tube Manual TT5 (1962)
>uses the term as Rich put it, and that's what I read it as, but looking
>at it again, I can see that it easy to cause confusion. In AB1, where
>there isn't any grid current drawn, obviously the grid doesn't go
>positive, so the maximum voltage on it is zero. Minimum voltage (which
>is actually the maximum negative voltage excursion) is thus twice the
>bias.

... ...and during that interval the anode current is cut off. The action
takes place between roughly neg.200v on the grid and 0v on the grid.

>Rich asked where the curves of IMD against grid volts were in The Care
>and Feeding of Power Grid Tubes.

This Rich did not ask where such curves were.  The statement that I did
not buy is that drawing grid current (Class AB2) decreases IMD.  I use a
Class AB1 amplifier, and I know that such a statement is unsliced
bologna. ..... AB2=doo-doo.
...snip...
>2. Has anyone heard of any successful use of Doherty or Terman-Doherty
>linear amplifiers on HF SSB?

No.  The way I understand it, changing frequency with one is a major
undertaking, Peter.

- IMO, increasing efficiency from 60% with tubes, and 45% with
transistors, to 90% would make minimal difference.  We are talking about
a third to a half S-unit.  Normal QSB is much more than that.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K