[AMPS] SB-220

Gary Blau gblau@goodnet.com
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:07:35 -0700 (MST)

>Subject: Re: [AMPS] SB-220
>Bcc:
>>Hi All,
>>       I just got me a good second hand Heathkit SB220, wow.!!!
>>and I HATE to turn it on, because it all turns on at once.
>>
>>The Filaments and the HT all together, those poor 3500z dont know whats
>>hitting them
>>when I throw the on switch.
>>
>>Has anyone some info on the hows and why's of this amp please, or should I say
>>Mod's for it, especially a STAND/BY Switch.
>>

>>Tnx  David.

David:

All the comments about not needing a standby switch or step-start circuit
for the 220 are technically correct, but I still find them handy, harmless
and emotionally comforting!  It's strictly a personal preference thing.

Perhaps the easiest and least invasive way of putting in a standby switch,
which you can painlessly remove if you want to resell the amp, is to replace
the meter switch with one that has an extra pole and position that can be
inserted in the relay line: if you want the amp off, switch it to the new
unmarked position; on, switch it to any of the metering positions.  Not
perfect perhaps, but very functional.  Don't be tempted to drill any holes!
I find that I use my standby switch all the time.

I've put all the Harbach and Rich Measures mods in mine and am a very happy
camper.

Great amp.  Enjoy!

Gary
W3AM