[AMPS] Lets chew on this

Doug Hall dhall@jps.com
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 11:00:13 -0500

Tom Rauch (W8JI) <W8JItom@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>If you have 2500 watts forward, and 1000 watts reflected, it is 1500
>watts output.
>
>73 Tom

   No wonder you have such a big signal :-)

   Seriously, I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert here, but this
seems totally incorrect to me. What happens to the 1000 watts of reflected
power? Does it come back into the amp and just sit there? Of course not!
It's reflected back up the feedline to the load, right? So it seems to me
the only way SWR (and hence reflected power) can reduce the power delivered
to your antenna is if you have excessive feedline losses. I'm reasonably
certain that the scenario described above does NOT satisfy the 1500 watt
output rule. Under your logic I could run 5 KW to my extended double zepp
fed with ladder line on 40m and still be within the legal limit, right?
'Cause the VSWR on the ladder line is quite high, with considerable
reflected power.
   Again, I'm not the expert here, so could you (Tom) or somebody please
enlighten me on this particular subject?
73,
Doug, KF4KL