[AMPS] rolling your own amps

Ron Hooper ab4ru@stc.net
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 23:33:48 +0000

Tommy Barber wrote:

> >> Marv and the group....
> >>
> >> Where are they going?  To damn expensive.  Maybe we need to put together a
> >> listing of where people can find parts to roll their own.  Also, where
> >> people can find expertise to help them roll their own.
>
> I would also be VERY interested in any info on rolling my own amp.  I
> currently have a Swan MkII but would like to build something along the lines
> of a 4 to 6 tube amp using 811's or 813's to be used on a daily basis so I
> can save the big gun for more serious work.
>
> Come on guys share your expertise!!!
>
> Anyone have info on where I can find schematic/plans for a 811 amp for HF
> use?  I seem to remember seeing this amp in an old Amateur Radio Handbook
> but cannot find one.
>
> Thanks,
> Ton
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> |   Tommy Barber  KC7SHQ        trbarber@mt.arias.net |
> |   Sometimes Has Questions         Spokane, WA             |
> |   Long 117.32W  Lat 47.70N     Grid Sq  DN17           |
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello,
 Building an 811 amp with 4 tubes is a good one to start out on if your
just looking to get your feet wet on building an Amp. The problem with
building amps these days is the parts are so expensive. Well what makes
them expensive is companies, which I wont mention, are buying up the
surplus for resale. Even at hamfest you find venders out in groves at
the tables to purchase up all the good stuff. Guys looking for a Vacuum
varable, tubes, sockets etc for his home project is kinda out of luck
unless he gets into the fest early. Sure you can still find them but at
a premium, surplus price.
  The next problem with building is the sheet metal components. If you
have a buddy that has a sheer and material its a big help. Even at the
best your still going to have a amp that looks Home brew and is not
going to fetch a good price for resale. The value will be about what the
components will sell for, individually added up. If you start saving
parts you find at a good price, it could take years to get enough to
finish the project.
  I know I am painting a bad picture to the new comers. At one time I
enjoyed building amps more than any other part of ham radio. I had
accumulated a basement of parts worth several thousand dollars. I built
many KW amps for the vhf/uhf frequencies, using 4cx250's in AB1 which
required neutralization in most cases. I would get up one day and build
power supplies, about 3 at a time identical, fully metered, Rack mount.
I had templets made up to speed the process of drilling holes. I stayed
in my basement days at a time only taking time to eat and sleep. I got
to the point it just want wasnt worth all the time it took to find the
parts and build Amps.
  I had lots of fun but dont plan to return to building other than my
personal projects which are few and far between.
73's Ron W4WA