[AMPS] Ameritron AL82

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:38:42 -0600

Hello all....

I recently purchased at AL80A on the cheap and really like the little amp.
But, as all you big guns know...the AL80A...doesn't put out more than about
700 to 800 watts on CW and about a 1000 watts on SSB.  OK, why did I buy it?
Well...it was cheap and..well...its a long story.

But, I am wondering about the big brother tohe AL80A, the AL82, the one with
2 of the 3-500Z tubes.  I like the big bottles because they are replaceable
at a reasonaable cost...but I haven't heard a lot on the reflector or on air
about people running this amp.  The AL82 seems to be the half-brother to the
favored AL1200.  So, what is the secret here that no one is sharing?

Is there something wrong with the AL82?
Does it take to much drive to get out 1500 watts?
Does it have TVI trouble? (which I am very skiddish about)
What are people's experience with this amplifier?

Thanks for the input...

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net
(The TH6DXX goes up in 45 days)