[AMPS] RE voltage sag

Ron Hooper ab4ru@stc.net
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 19:48:44 +0000

Hi everyone,
  Thought I would share this with the group since voltage regulation was
the topic. If you think soft mains are a problem you should try running
a big amp off a gas powered generator. One of the things that I have
done while mountain topping with my HB 4xc1500 6 meter amp to level out
the line voltage, was to run a 1500 watt electric heater. The heater
keeps the generator loaded to a constant 240 volts out, by adjusting the
gas linkage governor. When the amp was in the transmitt mode a relay
would switch the heater to off allowing the amp to continue the load.
  Now back to home mains, the best thing to control regulation is to do
it by adding a big ol capacitor to the PS. Yes choke's are nice if you
got one and dont mind the thing setting around etc. I have found it hard
to match a choke to the PS, unless you have it built or just plain
lucky. Its not worth the trouble or money. I use seperate 240 circuits
feed directly from my main panel. I would consider #10 awg copper to be
a standard for any pull. If you like bigger amps the #6 aluminium (stove
wire) is not much more expensive.
cya..Ron W4WA