[AMPS] voltage drop agn

Hakan Ericsson sm3lbn@swipnet.se
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:30:40 -0800

Hi all
I called a friend that runs an AL1200 amp, here is the story.
Line volt is 228VAC no load, drops to 219VAC full load = abt 4%
This is a very typical situation in this country.
The amps transformer primary is tapped to 230V
Anod volt is 3400 at no load and drops to 2800 full load = abt 18 %
(Readings from amps panel meter)
Full load in this case is 650mA anod current, drive pwr is 100w
Tom is saying 10 % drop is typical.
Now, I let you guess if this amp gives the owner 1500w out?

Now to another subject.
In this country (Sweden) we have 3phase 400V to nearly every household.
The singel phase has normaly 235-240V. It is 50Hz.
A typical home have 20 amp main fuses on each phase.
In a room the singel phase outlets have 10 Amps fuses as standard.
The maximum allowed fuse on a singel phase is 16 Amp.
QRO people over here try to go 2 or 3phase. I think most of above goes
for the rest of Europa.
400 Volt and 20 Amp fuses gives us a max continuos power of 13840 kW.
If we use a REAL QRO amp it wont give us a hole lot of electricity left
to make coffee !!

I have to my PT2500A amplifier an stand alone Swedish made HV
transformer
rated 3000VA CCS. The secondary side does not drop alot abt 3%.
The HV DC drops from 3900 to 3000 !! (Fluke + Fluke HV probe).
I took out the voltage doubler and used a fullwave bridge and 34uF
oilfilled C. (same transformer). Ha ha,, abt the same drop.

It's going to be very interesting to hear "The No Sag Guys" explanation
to the QROKINGS setup, but Carl's point abt. 6kW vs. 10kw is
interesting.

73's Hakan