[AMPS] Icom 756

Merit W6NQ rfp@rfparts.com
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:53:32 -0800

I suspect the coil current is likely 100-200 mA.  I doubt if problem is d.c. voltage applied to relay.  One possibility could be no diode across the coil to prevent the high emf spike when the relay's magnetic field collapses into the coil (when energizing current is removed).  If there is a diode on relay coil, it could be open or shorted.  Shorted/leaky diode could up the current draw.  Replace it with 1N4002, etc.  A.C. relays are another problem and could require a fast slave relay.  Good Luck,

At 04:04 PM 3/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I have an Icom 756. I was using it with a Drake L4B. At first everything was
>fine; after about 30 days the reed relay in the Icom froze stuck. The Icom
>relay is rated at 16volts@2amps. The Drake amp has a 12 volt relay but has a
>potential of 26volts with no load. Consider using an aux. relay; otherwise
>you too may have to replace an Icom relay.
>73, John w5GI
>

>--

Merit   W6NQ/W6NLO