[AMPS] MLA-2500B Input SWR

Robert w5robert@blkbox.COM
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:53:00 -0600 (CST)

I have some experience with two mla-2500B's.
One has the optional tuned input board - the other does not.
I have not changed tubes with the tuned input one and it gets
1400+ keydown into a Heathkit dummy load off 120VAC line.
THe second is setup for 220vac - no tuned input and appears to have a
soft tube.  Maybe 900 watts into the same load.  I will be trying
different tubes to see what happens.  The latter does seem to
tune poorly compared to the first.  Not sure if you can still find
those add-on tuned input boards.   I would like to know what you
find to get your output corrected.  Tubes are not cheap for this amp.
I have not had any luck using a AT into an amp and find it better
to just leave those off-line.
===
There was also a question about modifying a mla2500 to 3cx800.
I guess if one wanted more gain/eff% this would be OK.  But if I'm
already at 1400+ out, getting more juice will only find the next weak
link - hw it looks to me anyway.  There is one of these (I understand
well done) that shown on the 80mtr swap net a few times over the past
12 months.  That is the only one I am aware of & I have not seen it.
--
73 Robert  W5AJ  w5robert@blkbox.com
WB5CRG, VK5CRG, WB5CRG/VP2M & VP2E & WN5CRG !