[AMPS] Kenwood TL-922

Neuman, Rick {ch1x} rneuman@pcs.bls.com
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:48:18 -0500

How about some comments on the Kenwood TL-922...

I personally own one, yeah I know, it doesn't put out any power, but it
does gives me 1200 watts at 120V while having a small footprint.  Though
I am not an amplifier design engineer and cannot comment on the
electrical design, I did open it to do the 10M mod and considered the
inside of high quality and extremely compact design.  I also consider
the front panel neat and clean without large tacky company names and big
ugly knobs and switches (as with "ALL" US made amps) It also has the the
same high quality construction in the interior.  (In my personal
opinion, the "quality" blows away any American made amp)

I can say that when I was performing the 10M mod, though successful, it
did not work very well on 10M.  It had something to do with the 10M
tuned input. I knew this because after I performed the mod per Kenwoods
technical service bulletin, the HF rig saw a higher than normal swr
which resulted in less drive power due to the radio's swr protection
kicking in.  I could tune out this swr mismatch  using my TS940
autotuner but who wants to use their autotuner to tune into the amp and
then use another tuner to match the amp to the antenna. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Also, has anyone done anything to beef up the power supply to enable
more output power without totally butchering up the amp or having
massive external power supply boxes sitting on the floor?

Comments - positive and negative, ideas, opinions...

Thanks
Rick N4RF