[AMPS] Class C design

Steve Bookout sbookout@mnsinc.com
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 22:38:28 -0500

Hi all.

Thought it was time I 'tweeked' the gray matter of the minds on this
reflector.

I've built homebrew amps over the last 15 or so years, but they have all
been GG amps.  Some have worked better than others.  My first attempt
was more of an attenuator; KW in; 100 watts drive and 50 watts out!
But, I have learned from past errors and look back and laugh.

For years I have wanted to build a grid driven amp and now I have a bit
of an excuse to do it.

The situation is as follows:

I have decided to build a class C amp for 15 meters using a pair of
4-400's.  I ONLY work CW and I have lots of tubes, sockets, chimneys,
fil xfmrs, etc.
I would like to end up with close to 1500 watts when I'm done.  I have
the parts to build a stiff 4 KV B+ supply, easily capable of .6 amps.
This would give me an input of 2400 watts or so.  Should be enough.
Some where I have the Eimac bible, "The Care and feeding of Power grid
tubes" and my constant current curves for this tube, neither one I can
find since moving.
Can any of you all out there give me any insight into this project in
general?   Have you been there, done that?
Any ideas on the grid and screen voltages I will need?  (I need to start
checking on what I have or make a list for Dayton)
Am I asking too much from a pair of 4-400's?
Am I nuts?
Any insights based upon facts or experiences or where to look for more
info, would be greatly appreciated.  The old handbooks seem to be a
wealth of info, but are dated in some respects (vac tube regulated pwer
supplies and such)
This could end up being a nostalgic thread.

Thanks 73 de STeve, NJ4F