[AMPS] Re: Alpha models: 91B vs. 89: TUNED INPUT?

morel grunberg morel@shani.net
Fri, 09 May 1997 09:17:03 +0300

Hi,

I don't know if the sole demand is only a 50 Ohms load
for exciter. Please check with a spectrum analyzer
the spectral purity of a non-tuned input amplifier vs.
a tuned one with same tubes. I did it and I'm convinced
that the few more bucks invested and some little losses
in a tuned input network will worth the improvement in
output IMD products! In my views every 1-2 dB is very
important.

Maybe I'm too conservative or old fashioned to beleive
some of the myths and unbeleiveble claims of those who
want to justify cheap solutions or poor engineering !
No, I do not promote the over-designing, all I ask is
proper design.
I learned that quality costs money and cheaper prices
are usually mean cheaper results. Also, bad engineering
costs you a fortune in field returns and your reputation
as manufacturer. Am I wrong ?

73 de Morel, 4X1AD