[AMPS] 30L1 Grid circuit

Peter Gerba pgerba@crl.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 19:50:32 -0700 (PDT)

I have a 30L1 question... maybe Tom or Carl can help.

I have a Round Emblem model. I was told that the RF cable used to connect
the Xmiter (KWM2 etc) to the input of the 30L1 was of critical length. It
was explained that the Amp could go into runaway on 21 Mhz and above if
this cable was not used.

>From the Collins 30L1 Manual page 1-2, Table 1-1, R-f input cable 426-5079-00
"                         "  page 1-0, under "notes" #6 " This cable is
                             furnished with 30L-1 in 20.5 FT length. Do
                             not cut"

I was told that the designers of this Amp were under the gun to make ship
dates and had a problem with ( ???) above 15 meters. The Air Force wanted
the Amp ASAP ..the designers found that the 20.5 FT cable helped reduce
"the problem"  I've made a few changes in my 30L1 as suggested by Collins
"Service Bullitens" and the suggestions of a ham who worked on the 30L1
design.

Would one of you guys who understand what's going on here please
explain this problem and (half assed) solution to me.

Thanks, pete kn6bi

Peter Gerba
pgerba@crl.com